Dragon – a legendary creature thatis a symbol of power, strength, and good luck for people who are worthy of it.
We won’t be talking about the animated, adventure film, but there are certain things you can relate to it, especially the relationship between the Viking chieftain’s son(Hiccup) and his dragon (Toothless). It is not your relationship as a paddler to the boat(although yeah, we do need to take care of our dragon boats), but it is your connection to that dragon, that is in you.
As a dragon boat paddler, you already have that power and strength. All you need to do is put in the time and effort in the boat and practice. It does takes both to be able to get the right technique with new strokes. And of course, with a positive mindset, believing that you can do it(this helps a lot!).
So, unleash that dragon in you for the first race of the season! See you in the boat!
On another note, we do have dragons who have showcased their grit downing pints of Guinness on the Muddy Murphy’s BEERLYMPICS the last weekend. The team has put on great effort and came in second out of 8 teams and made it to the finals.
Sports Hub-SDBA Century Dragon Boat Race
Sports Hub, Kallang Basin
The dragon boat race season opens and kicks off with the Century Race. This is the 2nd year of this race and is part of the Sports Hub community play day and features a charity segment with the DB Hearts Challenge.
It’s time to sign up and commit to training! This year, it will not be just for newbies. All members are welcome to sign up.
Last chance to sign up for this race!!! Deadline is on Saturday, 27th January. Click on this Google form to register. Please do read the information of the race on the form.
Regular and Race Training
Wednesday – 6.30 a.m.
Saturday – 2.45 p.m.
Sunday – 9 a.m.
Wednesday morning session is on! Sunday training will be based on sign ups.
2.45pm @ the cage on Saturday!
Some reminders for this week:
1. Membership fees are due before the AGM. Please let Aoife or Ali know if you have paid.
2. Due to work and personal commitments, a lot of committee members will be away over the next few weeks. Let’s try to make it easy for whoever organising training. Please sign up early, arrive on time, pay ahead of training on Waave or bank transfer.
3. Please message Gaelic group chat(Whatsapp) if you’re running late to make sure your message is seen.
4. Regulars, please help out when you’re at the cage. Make sure eskis are filled, help newbies get the right size vest and paddle, get the boats ready and get the warm up started.
Gaelic Dragons Bootcamp
Find us at The Promontory @ Marina Bay (under the giant fans – message Gaelic Dragons or Kollarics Bence on Facebook for directions)7:30pm til 8:30pm, every Tuesday.
How much? $5 for PAYG members, and free for subscription members! What to bring? water, towel and a shitload of enthusiasm!
Quizzly Bears Thursday!
25 January, 8pm
The Penny Black
Join the quiz master for a bear-ly quiz this coming Thursday! Bring your family, friends, colleagues, your significant other and enjoy the night of fun, a pint (or bucket) of beer and some bear hugs!
Gaelic Dragons Annual General Meeting 11 February, 1.30 p.m. The Penny Black
Time for us to review what happened and what we accomplished last year, and find out what’s coming this new season. Just a few days left to our AGM, please send in your nominations by Friday, 9th February.
Why you should attend the AGM….
– We will review year 2017, this includes updates of our team resources
– We will share what events and races to look forward to this 2018
– You will get to vote for that Gaelic you think deserves to be seated on the committee(Provided, they will be willing to commit to the role, and, a paid Gaelic member of course!).
– You will celebrate the new season with our sponsor pub, The Penny Black, and get a head start to be the next biggest spender for 2018.
The meeting agenda has been emailed to you by Aoife, along with the nomination guidelines and details. Please send Aoife a message if you didn’t receive the email.
Save the dates!
Fun Races & Upcoming Social Events
We have updated race dates, and do plan ahead.
Sports Hub – SDBA Dragon Boat Century Race
Boracay International Dragon Boat Festival
May 26-27 / June 2-3
DBS Marina Regatta
Singapore Dragon Boat Festival
AustCham 5k and 10k Challenge
36th Singapore River Regatta
Fun Races & Upcoming Events
Gaelic Dragons Annual General Meeting (AGM)
Paddy’s Day Paddle and Newbie Day
St. Patrick’s Day Parade
Gaelics, we need your help!
For the past newsletter issues, we have been calling the Gaelics to submit stories or articles to be featured and published on our Gaelic Dragons website. We are still encouraging you guys to write for our newsletter and we would be very delighted to receive it.
To submit, please email it to email@example.com.
Are you enjoying our newsletter this year so far? Or you have found something that we needed to improve? Please fill this Google feedback form for us to know what we need to improve.